Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It can be so hard to sum up a season of one's life. Another DTS has come and gone, leaving 70 souls changed and my own heart more set on seeing the nations come to know their Maker. I have finished leading my second outreach and can only look back with gratitude. Our 2.5 months spent in Masiphumelele were challenging. Life changing. Eye opening. I will never be the same.

Our last few weeks were hard and the best at the same time. Relationships with the local Africans had bloomed and the rhythm of living in our house was a steady one. The doors to the Jesus house were open all day as our friends came in and out. Hours were spent laughing, talking, drinking tea. Kids ran in and out the door, pulling on our hands to draw us outside to show us something. One of these little ones won my heart. His name is Tulan, he is 5, and from Zimbabwe. He speaks another language but that didn't stop us from being friends. Although he had his naughty moments, he touched my heart so many times by the smile in his eyes, his outrageous laughter, and his crazy dance moves. Some days we would play, some he would be in the kitchen watching what I was doing, and some we just sat together, looking at the street in front of our house. With a rough life at home, I was very aware that he was watching us all and that we had the incredible opportunity to show him what true love looks like. The importance of living like Jesus was engraved into my heart. With this little one at my side most days, I wanted everything to show him Jesus and that he was loved loved loved. That nothing he did would stop that. That he could be more than what his circumstances spoke. That he could change the world.

Tulan

We left Masi 2 weeks ago, with the peace of God that it was our time to leave, with Hope for what He will do, with Joy that he used that place to radically effect our hearts. It broke our hearts to leave our friends, but we know that the Lord is moving there. We know that God is committed to seeing all of Masi know Him. We know that His love abounds for each soul that lives there. 

The view of Masi from our roof. 

Returning to Hawaii was a joyous time. After being scattered all over the world, there is something so sweet about being reunited with your best friends. Hearing the stories of how God moved in each student's heart, the lives that were touched in 11 nations, the miracles and love and grace that He poured out over and over for 3 months were so encouraging. I left Kona with a full heart of hope, joy and love. 

I am currently in California visiting dear friends that I have not seen since my DTS 2 years ago. I love how God has placed people in my life that no matter the time or distance, the friendship doesn't fade. I will be reunited with my family in 2 days time when they fly out here to watch my little brother graduate from Biola! Yay! My plan for 2013 is still in the works. The only thing for certain is heading home for a time of rest and being with my family and praying into what is next. I am so thankful for the last 2.5 years of my life and all that God has done in and around me. He is faithful and I can not wait to see where He leads me next. I pray that this Christmas season, each of you will be filled with Joy and Love from the Father :)

Thank you for your prayers and support. You guys never cease to amaze me in your commitment to my life. Thank you :)

Much love,
Kristi 


2 comments:

  1. No....YOU never cease to amaze me! God is AMAZING! I am blown away by the tenderness of the relationship that God developed between you and Tulan. Makes me seem selfish to have you back home...but YAY for us! Love you Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on a wonderful path and making the world a better place! Bless you- have a wonderful time with family in California. We hope to see you and hear some stories about your adventures while you are home.

    ReplyDelete